today i decided to make this. it turned out alright, but it's not perfect. let's examine what went wrong.
let me be honest, this is where i failed: at the very beginning. how? i picked the wrong effing fabric. it was chosen because i have an ass-load of it, but it's a jersey knit. terrible for this project. i would recommend a quilter's quarter or some linen or whatever else other that jersey knit.
welcome to the next moment of failure: i didn't line up the two pieces of fabric evenly when i attached the zipper. oops.
i also didn't do a very good job of sewing the two pieces of fabric together at the bottom. in fact, it is here that you can clearly see that the bag is going to turn out crooked.
non-sequitur: the picture above looks very similar to kleenex carrying cases i've had from japan.
i did clip the "ears" off, but i didn't use the correct scissors (i.e., the ones that are zig-zagged) because i don't own a pair. we'll see how that goes over time.
and here is my completed project; a wonky little boxy pouch. i'm gonna try again and i'll let you know how that goes.